Crisp apples, dried cranberries, feta cheese, and hearty walnuts come together in a fresh Autumn apple cranberry walnut salad. An easy side dish for any favorite meal!
You see that gold bowl in the pictures here? It’s new. I flew out the door in a panic the other day when I realized I didn’t have a bowl for the salad I was about to photograph. At least, not one that would fit my vision for this salad. It’s an autumn salad and I had no idea what exactly I was looking for when I rushed into Target at 9:50 am in my fuzzy slipper boots (don’t judge. a gal’s gotta have some comfy go-to shoes) and mop-top hair. But when I saw this bowl it screamed “photograph me, I was practically made for for a fall salad!”
And I agreed. Naturally.
Yesterday though, this big gorgeous autumn salad bowl was sitting on my countertop when a whole bunch of neighborhood girls (girls=teenagers) came over to my house to make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. One of them saw the bowl and said, “What’s that?” You should have seen the look on my face. I mean, obviously it’s a bowl…. Which is exactly what I told her. Except I said that it was a salad bowl. Her immediate reaction? “Ewe I hate salad. I don’t like the taste of leaves.”
She was dead serious.
Doesn’t everybody know that these “leaves” are really just a vehicle for getting loads of really delicious flavor combinations into your mouth? Because a bowl full of walnuts, apples, dried cranberries and feta cheese covered in dressing would be nothing short of wonderful, but also somewhat… odd. So we put it on top of some leaves, call it a salad, and dig it.
And as you can see, here I am doing just that…..
- 6 cups salad (I used a combination of arugula and baby spinach, any spring green mix will do)
- 1 red apple
- 1 green apple
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped (such as Diamond of California)
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup apple juice
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar in a pinch)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- scant ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup oil
- Core and chop apples (thin slices or 1 inch chunks). Toss lettuce, apples, walnuts, feta, and cranberries together in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients. Toss with salad immediately before serving. Enjoy!
**Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a larger group.