Baja Chicken Soup – A delicious and healthy soup with chicken, a hint of lime and lots of baja flavor! A perfect cold weather slow cooker recipe!
I really really really love soup. A lot. There will be many many more soup recipes shared in the future. I, unlike many people, love soup any time of the year. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, I eat soup all year round-rain or shine. But nothing compares to a warm bowl of soup when there’s a chill in the air.
This week we got our first snow of the year. The mountains already have white caps, but this was the first our grass had seen of the fully white stuff, It’s also going to be our first winter in our first house… in Utah. Did you know Utah is known for the “greatest snow on earth”? Hint: that means we get lots of snow. And we haven’t purchased a snow blower yet. Or even a snow shovel for that matter. Luckily our first snow melted quickly and didn’t really stick to the pavement. Now we’re scrambling to get the leaves off the ground before the next storm rolls through.
Of course when I say we, I mean my husband. He’s a stellar leaf-raker. I’m too busy making soup and brownies and such to bother with that yard work stuff.
But back to the snow issue…I really only like snow for one month of the year and that is December. After New Year’s I’m done with it. Problem is, snow like to stick around for a long time and wear out its welcome. Like in June, we’re sick of you snow. But during this season I’m okay with the chilly weather that brings snow because it gives me a good excuse to eat lots and lots of soup. This Baja Chicken Soup is soooo yummy (and healthy!!). I absolutely love that hint of lime and those fresh chunks of bright green avocado. Best part is it’s easy peasy to stick in the slow cooker and have ready to go at dinner time. De-stress and warm up with this amazing Baja-flare soup!!
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 large anaheim pepper, seeded and diced
- ¾ cup white onion, diced
- juice of 1 lime (about 1½-2 tablespoons)
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (or 1½ cups frozen) sweet corn
- 2 medium avocados, diced or chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large roma tomato, diced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Add chicken stock, anaheim pepper, onion, lime juice, minced garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and cumin to slow cooker and give it a stir to combine all ingredients. Place chicken in the broth and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- minutes before serving, remove chicken breast from slow cooker and place in a bowl. Shred chicken with two forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker. Add black beans, corn, avocado, and tomatoes to slow cooker and stir to combine. Let cook 30 minutes more. Serve hot and top with cilantro.