Quick and easy Baja fish tacos! Flaky white fish seasoned and blackened, then served in flour tortillas with creamy slaw and zesty avocado sauce!
I really really really love tacos. Especially fish tacos. I’ve had some mahi mahi fish fillets waiting in the freezer for a couple of months, ready to be used for some homemade Baja fish tacos but my husband also really loves tacos and he has been traveling for work (business men. what’re ya gonna do.) so every time I put these on the menu and realized he’d be out of town, I’d pout, strike through my beloved fish tacos, and put them off for another week.
Well he fiiiiiinally stopped traveling (for a minute anyway. tears of joy!!!) and the first thing I put on our menu last week was Baja fish tacos. Last Fall we took a little road trip up the coast of Southern California and stopped at a taco shack on the side of the road in Malibu. We shared chicken, steak, and fish tacos. They were all downright delicious but those Baja fish tacos…. they stole my heart and I’ve been dreaming of them ever since.
This recipe is so SO easy. The fish gets sautéed with seasonings and fresh lime juice, then wrapped in soft flour tortillas with creamy cabbage slaw and topped with a quick and suuuuper yummy zest lime-avocado sauce! They’re absolutely insanely tasty and come together in less than 30 minutes. If you like fish tacos, you will LOVE these!!!
- 1 pound white fish (I used 4 4-ounce mahi mahi fish fillets), cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- juice of 1½ limes, divided (plus additional lime wedges for serving)
- 2 cups slaw or thinly sliced cabbage
- ¼ cup mayo
- 8 taco-sized flour tortillas (6-inch tortillas)
- 1 medium or large avocado
- juice of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- 4 tablespoons mayo or plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- milk or water, as needed
- In a blender or food processor combine the avocado, lime juice, cilantro, mayo (or greek yogurt), and salt and garlic powder for the sauce and pulse til smooth. Add 1 tablespoon or milk or water at a time until desired consistency is reached. (You just want it to be easily spreadable and smooth) Set aside.
- Toss slaw or cabbage with ¼ cup mayo and juice from ½ of a lime. Set aside.
- Grease a skillet and preheat over medium heat. Add fish pieces. Drizzle juice from 1 lime over fish, then sprinkle with taco seasoning and saute over medium heat 6-8 minutes until outside is browned and fish is tender.
- Assemble tacos by dividing slaw, fish, and avocado sauce between tortillas. Serve with additional cilantro and lime wedges.