Crisp spinach tossed with red onions, fresh berries, crunchy pistachios, and blue cheese crumbles – all topped with a quick and tasty mixed berry vinaigrette!
It’s a day late but here is your Salad Monday salad! Sorry for the delay – super bowl threw me off a bit.
Speaking of which… did you enjoy super bowl sunday?? I did – because a whole lot of cheese fondue, chips and guac, cajun pretzel dip, homemade boneless chicken wings, and all manner of other finger-foods were to be had.
And the football, that was a nice bonus.
In all honesty, I didn’t grow up watching the super bowl. (*gasp*) My family just wan’t into it. Now college bowl games – we’re into those. We love a good NCAA football game but for some reason just never got on board with the pros.
Miiiight have something to do with the fact that we don’t have a state team.
Or maybe we just aren’t pro-football people.
Yeah probably the latter.
Look at that berry vinaigrette! Beautiful isn’t it?? Speaking of things that I am not… I am not normally a pink person. My sister – she lives for pink. She has a pink Christmas tree for heaven’s sake. I’ve never been a big fan, even when I was a little girl. (The fact that I was a tomboy does not help my case…)
But super-pink salad dressings? I’m a BIG fan. Creamy, tangy, fruity, and pink.
This salad might as well wear a sign that says “EAT ME, I TASTE LIKE SPRING!”
Occasionally I engage in what I call “wishful cooking” which generally involves cooking or preparing food that is not quite in season yet. This salad might just be such a case.
I can’t help myself, those berries at the grocery store have been begging me to take them home for weeks. I kept saying, no it’s not berry season yet, we are still in winter. But really, in the end, I was only fooling myself because I bought three boxes of berries and high-tailed it home to stuff my face with bluish-purplish-redish goodness.
And the best part? You can customize this salad to your personal taste. I used a combination of raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries on the salad but if you have a thing for strawberries and a bunch sitting in your fridge wanted to be put to good use – put them on this salad. If you wanted, you could do all raspberries, or all blackberries, or strawberries and blueberries – whatever suits your fancy. (p.s. “fancy” just auto-corrected to “face”. whatever suits your face… that works too.”)
And the dressing is customizable as well. I used all the berries I could find, mostly strawberries though, which probably added to the extreme pinkish nature of this dressing. But next time I think I’m going heavier on the blackberries. So who knows, it could turn out purple next time.
- 6-8 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 -1½ cups berries of choice (I used ⅓ cup each blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries - strawberries are great too)
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- ⅓ cup blue cheese crumbles (OR feta cheese crumbles)
- ⅓ cup shelled Diamond of California Pistachios
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen berries of choice (I used a combination of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries
- ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup cold water
- To make the dressing, pulse all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve the salad, in a large bowl toss together spinach, berries, red onions, cheese crumbles, and pistachios. Serve with prepared dressing.