A quick and healthy gyro-inspired salad with crunchy romaine, red onions, and peppers, topped with juicy seasoned chicken , feta cheese, pita croutons, and creamy tzatziki dressing!
Sooooooo it’s twenty 1-6. and I’m freaking out just a little bit. Time just seems to move faster and faster the older I get and now that I have two littles at home, it’s flying by at warp-speed which I pretty much hate. I need time to slow down. Which is why one of my New Year’s Resolutions is to slow down. Take a step back from the go-go-go life I’ve been living and just breathe. Soak in the tiny moments and be present.
I actually take New Years Resolutions pretty seriously. Up until a few years that was not the case. I didn’t really get it and I never put too much thought into it. In fact I don’t think I ever even made a real NWR until I was twenty years old. But that year I scribbled down a few of my biggest goals on a paint swatch (seriously.) and pushed it to the back of a drawer and really tried make those goals happen. And most of them did happen. And it was kind of awesome to look back at what I’d written on a teal blue paint chip and see some long term goals take shape.
So every year I make more goals, new resolutions. The new year is a fresh start and I just love that.
It seems like a lot of people make New Years resolutions regarding their eating habits – as in, lose weight, eat healthier etcetera, and it always reminds me of Tim Mcgraw’s My Next 30 Years – “eat a few more salads and not stay up so late…” So to kick off 2016 I’m sharing a brand spanking new healthy and incredibly tasty salad recipe. Last year I shared these—> easy chicken gyros and they have been a huge hit so I thought you might also like my salad version. I’m a HUGE salad fan so this is just about my favorite thing ever.
So Happy New Year. Happy Sunday. Happy chicken gyro salad!
- 2 round pita breads
- 6-8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 teaspoons mediterranean seasoning (may sub Italian in a pinch)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- ½ cup plain fat free greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup light mayo (optional - see note)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush pita breads with olive oil and cut into triangles. Lay in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 5-7 minutes until lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Season chicken with Mediterranean seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat in a large skillet for 4-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. Cut into strips.
- Distribute lettuce, chicken, peppers, onions, feta cheese and pita croutons between 4 bowls. Serve with tzatziki dressing.
A great tip for seeding the cucumber: slice the cucumber in half lengthwise (after peeling), then use a metal teaspoon to scrape out the seeds.