Spicy and creamy cajun alfredo sauce over penne noodles, topped with juicy, seasoned chicken – inspired by the popular Chili’s dish!
Chicken and pasta Mondayyyyyyyyy. It’s a thing. As of now.
Have you tried the Cajun alfredo pasta from Chili’s?? So good. The end.
Okay not the end because I have more to say about this recipe. I recreated it using my favorite Cajun seasoning mix. I’ve been using it for the past couple of years and luuuuuuuv it. If you have a store-bought Cajun mix in your pantry already, that’s fine, use it! But if you don’t, then you should definitely whip up my quick and amazing homemade version. I included it in the notes of the recipe.
That seasoning makes a double appearance in this recipe which makes me one very happy Cajun-spice lovin’ gal. Not only is that juicy chicken seasoned with it, but it’s in the alfredo sauce. You can’t even really appreciate how incredible that is until you make this dish. But when you do….
All of this happens in just 30 minutes so you have zero excuses not to have Cajun alfredo pasta on your menu this week. Do it! You’ll be so glad you did.
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning, divided (see note)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2½ cups milk (I used fat free half and half)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tomato, diced (see note)
- cilantro, roughly chopped
- Cook penne noodles according to package's instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Slice chicken in half horizontally so that you have 4 thin pieces of chicken. Season chicken on both sides using 1 tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning. Cook in a greased pan or skillet over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir until mixture clumps together. Gradually whisk in milk until lumps dissolve and mixture is smooth. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, and remaining cajun seasoning. Add cheese and stir until melted and incorporated into the sauce.
- Toss sauce with the cooked penne noodles. Slice chicken and place on top of pasta, then sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and cilantro.
My husband actually hates tomatoes so I swapped his out for a diced red pepper and it was equally delicious.