Chocolate Mousse Brownies – Dense, fudgy brownies piled high with a layer of rich and creamy chocolate mousse! These decadent bars are easy to make and insanely chocolatey!!
Happy Sunday! Sunday is my favorite day. As a kid I hated Sunday. But as an adult? Love it. I may change my tune in a few weeks when our twins arrive (6 weeks actually. how on earth did this happen???) but for now Sundays mean lazy mornings in bed, a few uplifting hours at church, and crazy family dinners where I am reminded just how unlike my family I am but just how much I love them.
Another thing I love about Sundays though? Dessert. Sunday ALWAYS includes dessert. We’re lucky enough to live close to both of our families and if it’s not homemade pineapple ice cream at one house, it’s some kind of chocolatey confection at the other. And if we’re being entirely honest here, sometimes it’s both. For the sake of not wanting to upset the mother-in-laws ya know?
These chocolate mousse brownies are de-vine you guys. Absolutely, positively what rich, fudgy chocolate dreams are made of. That brownie layer on the bottom half is dense and chewy and fudgy and perfect. On top of all that goodness you’re falling in love with that creamy rich layer of chocolate mousse. It’s pure heaven I tell ya.
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cups miniature marshmallows
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 inch square pan with nonstick foil and lightly grease.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Once completely melted, continue to stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the color changes from yellow to a golden amber color. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, cocoa powder, salt, and sugar. Add melted butter, vanilla, and eggs and mix to combine.
- Pour brownie mixture into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the brownie layer is baking, begin to prepare the mousse. Add marshmallows, chocolate chips, and milk to a medium sauce pan and stir over medium-low heat until melted and smooth. Allow mixture to cool while brownies cool.
- When brownies are cooled, finish the mousse layer. Add heavy cream (it should be very cold straight from the fridge) to a large bowl and mix until stiff peaks form. Add cooled chocolate mixture and mix til smooth. Spread mousse over cooled brownie layer.
- For the chocolate drizzle (optional) add chocolate chips and heavy cream to a heat safe bowl and microwave on half power for 2 minutes. Stir, and return to microwave (at half power) for 20 seconds at a time stirring after each, as needed til mixture is completely melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly before drizzling over mousse layer.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars and serving.
Recipe adapted from Let’s Dish Recipes. 9