Fresh, chopped Autumn salad with apple cider dressing has crunchy candied cinnamon pecans, apples, pears, bacon and feta cheese, all tossed in a sweet and tangy dressing.
I’m seriously not ready for the seasons to change, but it’s happening, and I’ve got to get on board with it whether I like it or not. Along with the batch of mini pumpkin chocolate chip bread loaves my mother made last week, this salad is helping immensely.
And did I mention the candied nuts?? Use pecans or walnuts, whatever your preference is. My top pick would probably be pecans but when I made this batch you see in the pictures here, I had used up the last of a large bag of pecans and had a handful of walnuts hanging out in my pantry so I used them up and they were DE to the lish.
The apple cider dressing is one of my very favorite homemade salad dressings. It has a sweet and tangy flavor and comes together in about two minutes with just five ingredients. Feel free up to crank up the amount of black pepper you’re using. Freshly cracked black pepper is definitely my preference but use what you’ve got!
You’re going to love how quickly and easily this fresh Autumn harvest chopped salad comes together, and how well it pairs with all of your favorite Fall dishes. I’m just gonna say it now, this salad needs to grace your Thanksgiving dinner table.
I know! Can’t even think about Thanksgiving yet! But this salad is so Fall-y, so delicious, so perfect and tasty, it’s got me imagining how fast it will disappear at our family Turkey Day gathering.
- 6-8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 red apple, diced
- 1 anjou or bartlett pear, diced
- 3-4 strips of bacon, cooked til almost crisp, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅔ cup pecans or walnuts
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup apple juice
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar, cover, and shake well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine lettuce, apples, pears, bacon, onion, cranberries, and feta cheese.
- Add walnuts to a medium pan and stir over medium heat on the stove for 1-2 minutes until toasted. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and continue to stir until sugar is dissolved and walnuts are coated in the sugar mixture. Transfer to a glass plate or a metal serving pan to cool. Once cooled, roughly chop and add to the salad.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately.