Juicy cilantro, lime, and garlic marinated chicken grilled to tender perfection!
I absolutely adore grilling season.
For me, grilling is the simplest solution to a busy weeknight dinner problem. Often when I’m not even sure what I am going to make for dinner (because we all have those days) I just take a couple of frozen chicken breasts out of the freezer to let them thaw and when dinner time rolls around, I season the chicken and throw it on the grill.
Cilantro and lime go together like PB & J. This chicken has a simple marinade with just five ingredients: lemon lime soda, fresh lime juice, cilantro, garlic, and salt. That’s it! You just toss all of that in a bag, let it marinate for as much time as you have, and then grill up that tender marinated chicken. We topped ours with green goddess dressing and absolutely loved it!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (pounded to about ½-3/4 inch thickness)
- 1 can (or about 1½ cups) lemon lime soda
- juice of 3 limes (plus extra lime wedges for squeezing)
- 1 bunch of cilantro (leaves only) roughly chopped
- 1½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- optional: green goddess dressing (store-bought or homemade) OR sauce listed below
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- ¼ cup mayo
- juice of 1-2 limes (taste after one, then add the second if desired)
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- Add chicken, soda, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, and salt to a zip lock bag. Seal the bag, shake it a bit to mix up all of the ingredients, and chill for at least 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- If preparing the sauce, add all sauce ingredients to a small food processor and pulse until smooth (you could also whisk the ingredients together instead of using a food processor - if you do this, I recommend garlic powder instead of minced garlic) Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- When ready to grill, preheat the grill to medium heat. Transfer chicken from bag to grill and discard the marinade.
- Grill chicken for about 5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Serve with green goddess dressing or prepared sauce if desired.