Easy marinated grilled thai mango chicken with a sweet and tangy coconut curry mango sauce to die for.
So this happened. ^^^^^
aka. just some of the best, most incredibly tender and insanely flavorful grilled chicken I have ever encountered in my lifetime.
No big deal.
I would tell you that I was inspired to make this dish by some crazy event or that it came to me like a brick to the head when I was washing my hair one morning, but the 100 percent truth is that this recipe kind of happened all on its own. We made a trip to Costco last week for one item, and left with four. One of those four items was a case of fresh mangoes. When I saw them piled high in the produce section I couldn’t resist. Looking back I wish I’d bought seven cases of them. But we live about 6 minutes from Costco so I think I could probably get my hands on a few more this week.
Anywayyyyy our Costco trip landed a case of mangoes on my kitchen counter. A couple of days later I made a grilled lime coconut chicken (oh don’t you worry, it’s comin’ soon!) and used half of a can of coconut milk in the process. Fast forward another two days and I thoguht, you know I love coconut, and I love mango….. what if I just whipped up a mango coconut sauce for some chicken and see how it goes…..
Choirs of angels sang you guys.
This chicken is made with my new favorite trick – doubling the marinade as a sauce. You make one sauce, marinate the chicken in most of the mixture, and save a little for later. When the chicken is cooking, you let the reserved sauce simmer on the stove for a few minutes and voila! you’ve got a little extra for slathering all over your juicy lucy tender marinated chicken!!
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1½ cups diced fresh mango
- 1 cup coconut milk (light is okay)
- 1½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 3 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- juice of 1 lime (about 1 tablespoon)
- ⅓ cup oil
- optional garnishes: chopped peanuts, chopped fresh cilantro
- In a food processor or blender combine mangoes, coconut milk, salt, curry paste, curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, lime juice, and oil. Pulse until smooth. Reserve ½ cup of the mixture, cover and refrigerate.
- Pour remaining sauce into a large resealable bag. Add chicken, seal bag, and refrigerate for 1-8 hours (overnight works great).
- Preheat grill to medium heat and lightly grease the grates. Use tongs to transfer chicken from the marinade bag to the grill. Discard bag. Cook chicken 5-10 minutes on each side until cooked through. (meanwhile move on to next step)
- While chicken is cooking, transfer the reserved portion of the sauce (the portion you refrigerated by itself) to a sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook 3-5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Once chicken is just about cooked through, brush both sides with the sauce and allow to cook 1-2 minutes longer on each side. Serve chicken hot with any extra sauce and garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro if desired.