A lighter take on classic, creamy chicken salad with juicy apple chunks, crunchy pecans, and tart dried cranberries! A hearty, healthy meal in 20 minutes!
For years I believed that I disliked a lot of foods and generally avoided them. When I began cooking as an adult though, I quickly realized that it wasn’t that I didn’t like those foods, it was more a case of not liking the way other people prepared them. I thought I hated cole slaw. Turns out I just hate the sweet mayo-y dressing that most people put on cole slaw. I prefer a more savory version, sometimes even a little bit spicy. Or just plain – no dressing.
I also thought I hated oatmeal, yogurt, pasta, and chicken salad. As with the cole slaw, I really just didn’t like how other people had prepared them for me. I am not a big fan of red sauce on pasta, only care for Greek yogurt – particularly with granola on top – and the oatmeal has to be thick and needs a crunchy topping for texture.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to ½ inch thickness
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 sliced sandwich bread (I used a whole grain wheat - I recommend something like this!)
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 apple (use your favorite, I used gala), cored and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ red onion, diced
- ⅓ cup Diamond of California Pecan Halves (could also use chopped pecans)
- ⅓ cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup light mayo (optional, may sub additional greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Season chicken with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side until cooked through. Chop into ½-inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add apple, celery, cranberries, onion, pecans, greek yogurt, mayo, dijon mustard, and garlic powder to the bowl and stir to combine. If desired, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble sandwiches by distributing romaine and chicken salad mixture between 4 slices of bread. Top with remaining slices of bread and serve.
This tasty recipe has been sponsored by Diamond of California Nuts – I was not compensated to write a review and all opinions are 100 percent my own. Thank you for letting me work with the brands I love!1