Simple and flavorful one pot cashew chicken ramen is the perfect 30 minute quick fix for your take-out cravings with veggies, chicken, noodles, and a tasty Asian stir fry sauce.
I am on a big ramen kick right now. When we were expecting the twins I suddenly had this revival craving of one of my favorite childhood eats – ramen noodles – and ate them daily for most of the second trimester of my pregnancy. In my junior high days my friend Abby taught me to add fresh squeezed lemon juice and black pepper to ramen noodles and my mind was blown. I ate them that way until I was pregnant whenI really branched out and started adding all sorts of things to my ramen bowls like curry and sriracha. (<—best stuff everrrrrrr)
Anyway, I had the kids and those cravings sort of died off for a bit, but lately they’ve been coming back (spoiler alert: no I am NOT pregs) and I’ve been making family-style ramen noodles for the past few weeks. One of my favorites has to be this one pot cashew chicken ramen.
Cashew chicken has always been one of my favorite Chinese dishes. I worked as a waitress at a Chinese restaurant all throughout high school and I ate way more than my fair share of cashew chicken. This simple version has fantastic flavor and requires minimal prep – maybe 5 minutes of chopping chicken and veggies and that’s it. I wish I could go in time 7 years and introduce my starving college self to this rendition of cheap ramen. For a few pennies more that ramen is turned into an actual meal. With protein and veggies and everything. Plus ONE POT(!!), even 18 year old me could have handled this.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 2 packages chicken flavored ramen noodles (including seasoning)
- 1½ cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ white onion, sliced
- ½ cup cashews
- thinly sliced green onions
- Drizzle your skillet (see note) with oil. Saute chicken until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Place ramen noodles in the bottom of the skillet. Sprinkle seasoning packets over the noodles, then add peppers and onions to the skillet. Pour 1¼ cups of water into the skillet. Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes until noodles are soft and liquid is absorbed.
- Whisk together remaining ¼ cup water, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and garlic and add to the skillet along with the cooked chicken and the cashews. Stir to combine. Allow to cook for 3-5 minutes until cashews start to become tender. Top with green onions, cracked black pepper (optional) and serve hot.