Fluffy orange sweet rolls with raspberry icing! A new take on sweet rolls you won’t be able to resist!
I’m in one of my food phases right now. This particular one appears to be a breakfast phase. In particular, it’s a breakfasty frosting phase. This morning I ate two of the world’s best sugar cookies, each topped with about 5 inches of to-die-for cream cheese frosting. (P.S. that recipe is coming sooooon!). Yesterday it was pancakes, today it’s sweet rolls, I just can’t get enough sugary sweetness first thing in the morning.
Okay so what exactly is a sweet roll? Basically it’s a cinnamon roll, minus the cinnamon. These sweet rolls are orange-flavored with a sweet orange-sugar filling. So good! And you top all of that yumminess with a super simple raspberry icing that you will want to eat straight from the bowl. Looks fancy but I promise it is really easy! Make these! your breakfast-loving tummy will thank me later.
- ⅔ cup milk
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ teaspoons yeast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ½ cup butter, very soft but not melted
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar.
- Whisk together milk and orange juice. Add butter and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir, then microwave 20 seconds at a time, stirring between each, until butter is just melted.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, add yeast and lukewarm milk mixture and stir to combine. Add the flour mixture and egg, and beat on medium-low speed until combined. If the dough is sticking to the sides of the bowl, add the remaining flour, ¼ cup at a time, until the dough begins to form a ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Continue beating for 5 minutes on medium-low speed. Remove the dough hook and cover the bowl with a damp towel and let rest for 10 minutes.
- After dough has rested for 10 minutes, roll it out on a floured surface into a 9x14 inch rectangle.
- Prepare the filling by whisking together sugar, orange zest, and orange juice.
- Spread the butter onto the dough, coating evenly. (I just do this by hand but you could also use a rubber spatula)
- Sprinkle sugar mixture evenly over butter. Roll the dough tightly into a log (roll the long sides together). Carefully cut into 11-12 equal sized pieces. Place each piece into a pie pie dish or a casserole dish. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise for 20 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until rolls are golden.
- To prepare the icing, mix together cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add raspberries, vanilla, and orange juice and mix until smooth. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- When rolls are done baking, top with icing. Serve warm.