Creamy, rich pumpkin cheesecake bars with chewy gingersnap crust, topped with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice!
I’ve come to a conclusion. Pumpkin + gingerbread flavors were made for each other. In that peanut butter + jelly, milk + cookies, cupcakes + sprinkles kind of way.
The crust on these cheesecake bars is where. it’s. at. Made with gingersnap cookie crumbs, butter, cinnamon and sugar – I could eat the whole thing straight up, no cheesecake layer required.
But the truth is that we are adding a cheesecake layer. A pumpkin cheesecake layer. Why? Because we can and it makes that gingersnap crust just that much more incredible.
And look, I’ll even let you have the first bite…
- 38 gingersnap cookies
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled mostly
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- toppings: whipped cream, chopped pecans (I used Diamond of California pecan bits), pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with foil and lightly grease.
- In a food processor combine the gingersnap cookies, sugar, and cinnamon and pulse until fine crumbs form. Add melted butter and pulse again until mixture is completely moistened.
- Press gingersnap mixture into the bottom of your prepared baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, prepare the cheesecake layer.
- Mix together egg and sugar until light and foamy. Add cream cheese, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Pour over baked crust.
- Return pan to oven for 25-30 minutes until cheesecake layer is set. Allow to cool on a cooling rack for 10-25 minutes, then transfer to fridge to chill completely. Cut into squares and top with whipping cream, chopped nuts, and sprinkled cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and serve.