Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bundt Cake – The absolute perfect centerpiece and hit dessert item for your holiday party this season!
Sometimes I think I’ve had a stroke of brilliance but then I find out I am not actually quite as brilliant as I thought. I told my mother I was making a cake. A pumpkin cake. No, a real pumpkin cake. A cake that actually looks like a pumpkin. But still tastes like cake. Pumpkin cake.
Well then my mother says to me, “oh that reminds me, did I show you that cake I found that I thought you should make??” No mother you did not. “Oh well let me show you!” she says.
Oh hey… that looks like the cake sitting in my kitchen right now…
I guess I’m not so genius. Or I am, but someone else was genius before me.
Maybe you have made a pumpkin cake that looks like a pumpkin before and you’re thinking right now, okay seriously, been there done that.
I’m sorry. Please forgive me for borrowing your genius.
Regardless of the fact that this cake is not wholly original and I’m sure you may find other like it on pinterest, the point is that I made this cake and it was delicious and beautiful and now I’m going to share it with you.
And by the way, all of my non-Pinteresty party attendees were absolutely wowed by this cake. They truly thought it was genius. And my more Pinterest-savvy attendees still adored it, even if they did throw in a “oh how cute, I saw that on Pinterest!”.
Sometimes it isn’t about being the first ever to do something. Sometimes it’s just about doing it at all. Early or late, doesn’t matter. I made this cake and I loved it, and I’m pretty sure you will too!
- *The recipe below is for ONE bundt cake.
- 1 box yellow cake mix, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1¾ cup pumpkin
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 5-6 tablespoons milk
- red and yellow food coloring
- Optional: real pumpkin stem
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a round bundt pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and sugar and whisk to mix well. Mix in eggs, pumpkin, and vanilla. In another bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, and egg until creamy. Mix in cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour half of cake batter into prepared bundt pan. Next, spread on cream cheese mixture. Top with remaining cake batter. Bake 50-60 minutes or until inserted knife comes out mostly clean.
- **To make full pumpkin, you will need to make the above cake twice. Do not double the recipe and split between two cake pans. Make the cake two times. Flip one cake upside down, set second cake on top.
- Make the icing by mixing together powdered sugar and milk in a microwave safe bowl. Stir in ½ teaspoon yellow food coloring. Add red coloring 2-3 drops at a time until desired shade of orange is reached. Warm icing in microwave (20-30 seconds) until pourable consistency is reached. Pour icing over cake. Allow to cool and set. Top with optional pumpkin stem. Slice and serve at room temperature.