Salmon and lentil caprese salad with fresh spring greens, lemony salmon, mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, and balsamic drizzle!
Do you know what a pulse is? I’m talking about the food kind, not the heartbeat kind. Think lentils, peas, beans, and chickpeas. A whole lot of yum that doesn’t get enough lime light.
But don’t you worry, we’re bringing a bit of that yum to the blog today – salmon and lentil cappers salad style.
So why all the hoopla about pulses?? Well here’s the skinny. Each year the United Nations picks a topic of global interest, and they named 2016 to be International Year of Pulses. Pulses were selected because of their significant health, economic and environmental benefits. Gearing up for 2016, each country was charged by the UN to submit one pulse recipe to represent their country.
The USA Dry Pea and Lentil Council, which is the body selected by the UN and Global Pulse Confederation to manage International Year of Pulses in the U.S., reached out to me to develop a recipe to be in the running. With your help, my recipe could be selected as the National Signature Pulse Recipe for the U.S.! Pretty cool right? Right.
And voting takes about two seconds so if you think this salad looks tasty, just head on over to the USADPLC Facebook page and vote for mine by Liking the photo!
- 12 ounces salmon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 cups tossed spring greens
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup mozzarella balls
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a baking dish. Season both sides of salmon with salt and pepper, then drizzle with lemon juice. Place salmon in prepared dish and bake for 10-15 minutes until pink and flakey.
- While salmon is baking, prepare the balsamic reduction. In a small saucepan bring balsamic vinegar to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Chop salmon into strips or cubes. In a large bowl toss together the salmon, spring greens, lentils, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella. Just before serving, drizzle with balsamic reduction and sprinkle with black pepper. Serve immediately.