Light and flavorful shrimp and summer veggie orzo tossed with bright pesto vinaigrette.
So this may be a bit premature (like, wayyyyyy premature), but between the back-to-school-blues and a mild degree of winter SAD, I was in desperate need of something to brighten up my food routine.
And I obviously brought pesto into the mix because, as previously discussed, I’m in a pesto mood this week.
Summer veggies, bright greens and yellows… a little glimpse of June happening in my kitchen and I was l.o.v.i.n.g. every minute of it. Speaking of my kitchen… have I mentioned that it’s in desperate need of a facelift? We replaced the laminate floors last Christmas with dark hardwood but the cabinets are older than Moses and I have big pretty dreams of granite countertops. The thing is, have you priced granite lately? Ouch.
But everybody says granite pays for itself and you’ll never regret it. My mother in particular swears up and down there’s no better way to go. Mom’s always right. Right? Right.
Tell me though – do you have granite? Do you love it?? Why do you love it??
Also, cabinets. I’ve considered refinishing them myself but I’ve heard horror stories about that painstaking process. I have this vision of bright, light cabinets with rustic knobs and filled with hoards of matching white dishes. (Thank you Pinterest.)
So my second question: have you refinished your own cabinets? Was it awful?? This little voice in the back of my head is saying outsource, outsource, outsource!
I think I’m hesitant to take on a big cabinet refinishing DIY because of my perfectionistic nature. I admit it, I’m that person. Nit-picky, gotta get it just right. But for some reason it seems way worse when it’s my own work – if someone else does it, my ability to overlook flaws improves ten fold. Go figure.
Woahhhh I’ve been rambling. Thanks for listening, I owe you one. Now back to the sunshine-loaded pasta dish I’ve been enjoying this week. So simple, so yummy. It goes something like this: cook orzo, drain. saute shrimp and veggies over medium heat. add orzo. add pesto vinaigrette. sprinkle with basil. devour.
So let’s just stare at this summery dish and pretend like we are not stuck in wintertime alright? Awesome sauce.
- 1 cup orzo pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 pound small shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails removed
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: fresh basil
- 6 tablespoons pesto
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together and set aside.
- Add shrimp, bell peppers, zucchini, squash, garlic, and olive oil to a large pan or skillet and stir over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes until veggies are tender and shrimp are pink. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add orzo to pan and stir til heated through. Pour pesto vinaigrette into the pan and stir to coat well. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste if needed. Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil if desired and serve warm.