If you love spinach artichoke dip, you’ll love the flavors and easy prep of this 30 minute skillet spinach artichoke chicken!
I’ve been indulging myself lately. My husband has been out of town five out of the past six weeks and I’ve been making dinners that are one hundred percent catered to my tastebuds. I never look forward to these big travel stints but I’m not gonna lie, I do eat some really good food when he is on the road.
Just making the best of the situation you know?
So what kind of food happens when he’s not going to be sitting down to dinner with me that night? A lot of tomatoes, mushrooms, quinoa, and artichokes. He really hates tomatoes and artichokes, quinoa is meh – he’ll eat it but he definitely wants it with some kind of meat and I could eat a big bowl of it sans meat – and artichokes he doesn’t dislike, but he isn’t as crazy about them as I am. I loooooove me some artichokes. Give me a whole roasted artichoke with melted butter and I’m in heaven.
If you are a fan of spinach artichoke dip (seriously. if?? is there even an IF here?? how can you not love spinarti dip?!) then you will be totally on board with this skillet spinach artichoke chicken. We’re talking pan roasted artichokes with garlic and spinach, whisked into a light and creamy white sauce, and served with very lightly breaded and browned chicken with the perfect topping of parmesan cheese.
I might also add that this dish will only take you 30 minutes and you can use chicken breasts or thighs – whichever you prefer – and even lighten up that sauce by using half n’ half instead of heavy cream if you want to. BAM. Customizable, tasty, quick, one pan… what more could you ask for?!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts OR 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (at least one per person)
- ¼ cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, quartered (drained, about 1 cup of artichoke hearts)
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (see note)
- ¼ cup shaved or finely shredded parmesan cheese
- freshly cracked black pepper for topping (optional)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Toss in the flour to coat (you might not end up using all of the flour, that's okay - just discard any excess).
- Cook chicken in a greased pan or skillet over medium heat for 5-8 minutes on each side or until cooked through and lightly browned on the outside. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Melt butter in the pan. Add artichokes, garlic, and spinach to pan. Saute over medium heat 3-4 minutes until spinach is wilted and artichokes begin to brown on the edges.
- Add chicken broth to pan and stir for 3-5 minutes until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer chicken back to pan and toss to coat in the sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and allow to melt for a minute or so. Garnish with fresh cracked black pepper and serve hot.