Slow Cooker Beef on Rice – Savory beef and gravy slow cooked to tender perfection and served over rice!
It’s Sundayyyyyyy and this is a Sunday dinner classic I’m sharing with you today so, yeah. Pretty approriate.
It’s kind of like beef stroganoff? ish? Maybe. It’s basically a beef and gravy that you serve over rice. My mother made it all the time when I was younger and called it Beef on Rice. Not beef with rice. Beef ON rice. Similar to how some people say “soda” and some people say “pop”. And recently I learned there is an entire region of the U.S. that calls it all Coke – regardless of whether it is actually Coca Cola or not.
Are you a soda-person, pop-person, or coke-person??
Just for the record, I’m actually a soda-person.
It’s also incredibly easy to make – WINNER! All you have to do is throw 6 ingredients into your slow cooker (six. and that’s including salt and pepper so it’s really like 4ish ingredients….) and come back 8 hours later to one crazy-tasty dinner. Cozy comfort food at it’s best!
- 2 pounds beef chunks (aka: stew meat )
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2-3 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper ( or to taste)
- ¼ cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 4-6 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Add beef, broth, and chopped onions to slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- About 10-15 minutes before serving, Transfer slow cooker contents to a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Whisk together cold water and corn starch, add to pot, and stir until thickened. Serve over rice and sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired. Enjoy!