All of the amazing flavors of a classic cheeseburger wrapped up in a creamy, cheesy slow cooker soup! This is cozy comfort food you’ll crave all year long!
The past couple of days have been cooler and breezy and have most definitely put me in a fall mood. I even bought a new pair of cable knit knee-highs, the kind you can’t possibly pull on without feeling 10 shades of cozy.
I’m all about the slow cooker soups these days. Correction: I’m all about the slow cooker everything these days. They’re so easy to make, since the crockpot basically does all of the work, and it could be in my head but I swear the flavors intensify when they’ve been marrying together for a few hours.
I’ll take an ooey gooey cheeseburger any day of the week but if you’re looking for creamy comfort food you can whip up at home without firing up your grill, this soup is exactly what you need. The ground beef, sharp cheddar cheese, and potatoes make this soup hearty, filling, and just the thing to warm you up as the weather cools off. You’ve gotta try this!
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces ground beef + 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups half and half or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- optional: additional cheese, bacon bits, green onions
- Add potatoes, diced onion, celery, carrots, basil, parsley, and chicken broth to slow cooker. Cook on low 7-8 hours or on low 3-4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add oil and ground beef to a large sauce pan and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until browned. Transfer to a bowl and wipe out the pan with a paper towel.
- Add butter to pan and stir until melted. Add flour and stir until mixture clumps up. Slowly whisk in milk (half and half OR heavy cream) until mixture thickens. Stir in salt, pepper, and sour cream.
- Add cream mixture, ground beef, and shredded cheese to crock pot. Stir to combine all ingredients. Serve warm and top with additional cheese, bacon bits, and green onions if desired.