Flavorful creamy chicken made in the slow cooker, then rolled up in soft tortillas and baked or a few minutes until crispy! An easy and tasty meal you’ll want to make again and again!
The Cinco de Mayo foodie festivities are continuing around here. I suppose we are sort of working in reverse here with churros for dessert yesterday and cream cheese chicken taquitos for dinner today. But that’s just how we do it around here. We totally have ice cream before carrots and breakfast for dinner. We like to keep things interesting.
Slow cooker meals are some of my favorites. For one thing, the whole set-it-and-forget-it part really speaks to me. I’m especially good at the forgetting part. I love that dinner time rolls around and suddenly it’s “oh hey we should eat something. Hey look at that, dinner is ready!”.
These cream cheese chicken taquitos are one of the easiest dishes you will ever make. And one of the yummiest! The cream cheese chicken is creamy and flavorful, seasoned perfectly with just a couple of spices. Just throw it all in the crock pot and a few hours it’s ready to be rolled up and thrown in the oven for a few minutes to get nice n’ crispy.
My husband, who is not normally a big taquito-lover , went crazy for these! We were practically in tears when the last one was gone and we already have plans to make them again! Perfect for Cinco de Mayo or any other day of the year!!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt + pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup shredded colby or Mexican blend cheese
- 12 6 inch corn or flour tortillas
- optional: cilantro, salsa, sour cream, or other toppings as desired
- Add chicken, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste, cream cheese, and water to crock pot. Cover and cook on low 8 hours or on high 4 hours.
- minutes before serving, remove chicken from crock pot, shred with two forks, and return to slow cooker. Give it a stir. Let it cook about 15 minutes longer.
- Preheat oven to 400. Place about ¼ cup of the chicken mixture onto the middle of each tortilla. Top with 1-2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Roll tightly and place in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, until tortillas are slightly browned and shredded cheese is melted. Serve with desired toppings and sauces.