Slow Cooker Sesame Beef – easy sweet and saucy sesame beef slow cooked to perfection in your crockpot!
Annnnnnd we’re back with more better-than-takeout goodness.
You’re welcome. 🙂
Around here we don’t have real impressive Chinese restaurants. Maybe downtown but I’m weird and don’t like the hustle and bustle of downtown so we rarely head out there for dinner. Honestly though, I’m not sad about the nonexistant awesome Chinese here in town because it pushes me to create dishes at home that I always end up liking better than the restaurant versions.
It probably has something to do with the fact that I can adjust the recipe and tweak it to my personal taste. Which is why you’ll see crushed red pepper on the ingredient list for this slow cooker sesame beef. Typically you don’t see that in sesame beef recipes because they’re more of a sweet n’ savory dish with emphasis on the sweet.
Don’t worry! This recipe is still that amazing sweet sesame beef you’re craving, trust me. It just gets a touch of …. mmph. Yeah, mmph. (pronounced “mfff”) You know, that little something extra that pushes it just past the good mark and into the great territory. It’s a flavor boost you will really be missing out on if you skip it. And if you’re not a spicy-food-lover, don’t fret – you’re only tossing 1/2 teaspoon in there, it will not burn your mouth.
On the other hand, if you are a spicy-food-lover (like me) then by all means add as much of that crushed red pepper as you can handle!
Or top it with sriracha sauce. Oh heaven that stuff is addicting.
Still not convinced? Here, try a bite…
- 16 ounces thin flank steak*, chopped into 2-inch pieces
- ½ white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup cold water + 1 tablespoon corn starch
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Place beef, onions (green and white), and chopped red peppers in a greased slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all sauce ingredients (do not include the ¼ cup cold water, corn starch, or sesame seeds). Pour sauce into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low.
- About 30 minutes before serving, whisk together remaining cold water and corn starch. Add corn starch slurry to the slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook on high for another 30 minutes or so. Stir just before serving. Serve with cooked white or fried rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.