Savory and spicy slow cooked Asian cashew chicken with minimal prep and the most amazing flavor.
Even though I’ve loved Asian flavors for as long as I can remember, there was a time when all I wanted when my family went out for Chinese was a bowl of white rice with soy sauce. No I’m not kidding, I would ask for a bowl of white rice and pour soy sauce right on top and that was my dinner. I might’ve snuck a few bites of sweet and sour chicken in there but for the most part my story consisted of a girl and her bowl of salty white rice.
Thankfully I don’t order that for my entree anymore because SODIUM ALERT! not to mention a severe lack of protein and other important nutrients. But truth be told I really don’t even go out for Chinese very often anymore. I craved it so often I decided it was time I started making some at home and once that began, I never looked back.
Cashew chicken has to be one of my very top picks as far as Asian dishes go just for the fact that it has cashews in it. I seriously love me some cashews and they miiiight just be my favorite nut so when my friends at Diamond Nuts started producing cashews I nearly cried tears of joy.
This slow cooker cashew chicken is basically my favorite ever cashew chicken (better than any restaurant version I’ve had for sure) but amped up with a little bit of a spicy kick – I LOVE love love it. The flavor, the no-fuss easiness of it. The way my house smells like spicy cashew heaven after it’s been slow cooking in my kitchen for a few hours. I love all of it.
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup Diamond of California Cashew Halves
- cooked white or brown rice, for serving
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons cold water + 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Add oil to a large pan and preheat over medium heat. Add chicken and sauté 1-2 minutes, just long enough to brown the outside. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add bell peppers, onions, and green onions to slow cooker.
- Whisk together soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes. In another small bowl stir together cold water and corn starch til dissolved. Stir into soy sauce mixture. Pour over chicken and veggies and stir to coat.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours. About 30 minutes before serving stir in cashews. Serve hot over steamed white or brown rice.
This recipe has been sponsored by Diamond of California Nuts – thanks for letting me work with the brands I truly love!