Slow cooker tomato basil parmesan tortellini soup is easy, healthy, delicious, and a cinch to make in your crockpot – perfect for cool weather nights!
All day every day. That’s how often I’ll be eating this soup thank you very much.
This is a little twist on my favorite slow cooker tomato basil parmesan soup which normally doesn’t call for tortellini, but I’ve been on a pasta-in-soup kick for a bit now and this was bound to happen. Thank heaven it did because this soup….. seriously no words.
It is creamy and cheesy and tomato-y, and has the perfect broth-to-pasta ratio. On top of all that, it’s in the slow cooker and your house will be smelling like a soup n’ sandwich shop by the end of the day. If they made a candle that could make my house smell this heavenly I would absolutely buy ten of them, but until they come out with an Autumn Creamy Tomato Basil Soup scented candle I’ll be making this deliciousness on the weekly to get my fix.
Get the recipe for Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Tortellini Soup below!
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream OR half & half
- 3 cups frozen tortellini (thawed)
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and next 7 ingredients (through broth) to a slow cooker/crockpot. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or 4-8 hours on low. (If you are home, give it a stir every now and then and scrape down the sides)
- About 30-40 minutes before serving transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, then return to crock pot.
- Prepare the roux. Begin by melting the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add flour to melted butter and stir until flour clumps up. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream (or half & half) until mixture is thickened and smooth. Add roux, parmesan cheese, and tortellini to crockpot and stir to combine.
- Allow to cook another 20-30 minutes until cheese is completely melted. Give it a good stir before serving. Top with additional basil and parmesan cheese if desired.