Saucy, cheesy smothered chile colorado burritos made in 30 minutes. The sauce is so good you’ll want to eat it straight from the pan.
When I was a kid my favorite food in the world was a bean and cheese burrito. Mom used to keep them stocked in the freezer 24-7, 365 days a year just to feed my addiction. She also said almost daily, “you eat so many burritos, you’re going to turn into a burrito” which, as a 9 year old, I thought would be just about the coolest thing in the world.
Sadly, many years later, I’m still human.
Thankfully, I eventually learned how to make my own non-frozen-store-bought burritos (cause that’s rocket science, obviously….) and now I’m obsessed with a new variety of burrito —> The super cheesy smothered colorado chile variety. Mmmmmm.
The sauce for these burritos is so insanely good, I literally couldn’t stop eating it straight from the pan. Frankly it’s a miracle that any of the stuff actually made it into the tortillas. But it did! And I am so glad that it did because the whole cheesy saucy smothered part takes it all to the next level of YUM.
- 2 pounds flank steak or similar beef, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 10-ounce cans mild or medium red enchilada sauce
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, found near the canned jalapeños)
- 1 anaheim pepper, diced
- 1 15-ounce diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cold water + 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
- Saute beef in a large sauce pan over medium heat until tender.
- Add enchilada sauce and next 8 ingredients (through cumin) to the pan. Whisk together water and corn starch in a small bowl, add to pan and stir. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Add black beans and a generous amount of beef mixture to the middle of each tortilla. Wrap up tightly and place seam-side-down in a greased baking dish. Top with additional sauce from the beef mixture and sprinkle shredded cheese on top. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly, then serve.