Easy and tasty flank steak gyros with tzatziki cucumber sauce are bursting with hearty flavor. A simple marinade and quick-sear yields super juicy and flavorful beef for the best homemade gyros!
If you haven’t had a gyro, your mind is about to be blown.
One of the many things I love about this recipe is that is year-round friendly. You can cook the steak on a grill pan or cast iron pan on the stove, or – my favorite method – on the grill. Our new back patio is getting a lot of use now that it’s finally (finally) warmed up and feels like Summer is here to stay.
Spring was extremely up and down for us with sudden snow and hail storms amid 80 degree days. I’m over the moon excited for grill weather to finally be very much in full swing here.
Would you just check out that flank steak?! Blackened crust, juicy and super tender center…. absolute perfection.
I love to serve my gyros with fresh red onion, tomato, and lettuce, topped with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a healthy sprinkle of cracked black pepper. If you’re a fan of bell peppers, go wild – red and green are perfect for this!
And don’t hold back on the tzatziki cucumber sauce. It’s easy to make and SO tasty smothered on a juicy beef gyro.
- 1 pound flank steak
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, or 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- juice of ½ lemon, plus additional wedges for squeezing
- 4 white or wheat pitas
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- romaine lettuce
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced + ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cold plain Greek yogurt
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup chopped dill, fresh or frozen (may sub 2 tablespoons dried dill)
- 1½ tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- Place steak, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and juice from ½ lemon in a large resealable bag. Press excess air out and seal bag. Refrigerate for 1-8 hours.
- Spread cucumber slices out on a paper towel. Sprinkle generously with salt on both sides and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Wrap cucumber slices in paper towels, squeeze excess liquid out, and transfer to a food processor or blender.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients to blender and pulse until smooth and creamy. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Preheat grill, grill pan, or cast iron skillet, to medium-high heat. Use tongs to transfer steak to grill and discard excess marinade. Cook steak for 6-8 minutes on each side until desired doneness (I recommend leaving just a hint of pink in the center for super juicy, tender meat with lots of flavor!)
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow meat to rest for a few minutes before slicing very thinly across the grain.
- Assemble gyros with lettuce, sliced onions and cucumbers, and steak. Drizzle with tzatziki sauce, top with black pepper and fresh squeezed lemon and serve immediately.