Tomato Tortellini Soup – Rich and creamy tomato soup with cheese-filled tortellini and yummy Italian spices! Even tomato-haters will love this soup!!
I’ve always enjoyed eating tomatoes, even as a kid. It might have something to do with the fact that I have a rather large obsession with all things Mexican food and tomatoes are key in Latin cuisine. For example, I am a salsa addict. What is salsa without tomatoes? It is un-salsa. It needs tomatoes. (With the exception of fruit salsa and a few other variations.)
Growing up my family had a garden where we grew all sorts of summer vegetables, including tomatoes. I caught my sister eating a fresh tomato with seasoning on it, and nothing else. I’d never even considered eating a tomato by itself. In fact it grossed me out a little bit when I saw her sinking her teeth into a raw tomato without so much as a hamburger to deliver it. However, I was an adventurous eater and she gave me a bite of home-grown, freshly sliced tomato sprinkled with lemon pepper. It was good! And so my love for tomatoes continued to grow.
My husband on the other hand could live without tomatoes. Unless they’re buried in a burrito or in some other way served without drawing any attention to themselves, he hates them. When we were first dating and I discovered his lack of appreciation for those tasty things, we made a deal. If he orders a dish that is served with tomatoes, instead of asking for them to be left off his plate, he simply gives them to me and everybody wins.
I made this soup imagining that I would love it. And I most definitely did! Oh my gosh, SO amazing! The creamy base works so well with the cheesy tortellini shells. I found myself fishing for more tortellini, I wanted one in every single bite!
What I didn’t expect was what happened while I was photographing this delectable dish. While I was snapping away behind the lens, my husband was helping himself to the big pot on the stove back in the kitchen. The first thing I heard was, “Hon. Woah, this soup is ah-mazing!!”. Do you realize what this means? I made a dish that was so delicious, even my tomato-hating husband was blown away by its tastiness.
Even if you think that you do not like tomato soup, do yourself a huge favor and give this a try. It’s insanely good! Trust me, if my husband is asking for more of a tomato-starring dish, it must be good. I will be making this Tomato Tortellini Soup seven hundred and fifty two more times in the near future. Starting…tomorrow.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cans 10¾ ounce cans tomato soup
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups half & half (I used fat free) + 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 pound cheese-filled tortellini, fresh or thawed
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Heat oil in a large pan or skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add peppers and sauté 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add chicken (or vegetable) broth and tomato soup and bring to a gentle boil. Add italian seasoning, onion powder, and garlic salt and cook 3-5 minutes, stirring throughout. Whisk together half & half with corn starch until corn starch is dissolved. Add corn starch slurry to soup and allow to thicken 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat and add tortellini. Stir in parmesan cheese until melted. Serve hot and top with additional cheese if desired.