These ultra chewy and fudgey gluten free brownies are my favorite I’ve ever made!
There are a couple of really exciting first-evers happening today in this here bloggy post.
1) The first-ever (intentional) gluten-free recipe I’ve ever made. (Meaning, there are probably several other gluten-free things I have made in my lifetime but this is the first one I’ve actually made with the purpose of it being gluten-free.)
2) The first-ever gluten-free (once again, intentional) recipe ever posted on Creme de la Crumb.
3) The first-ever claim to “best brownies I’ve ever made” being shouted by me from the virtual rooftops of blogville. Many a brownie recipe have I made and devoured, but never before have I claimed them the best brownie recipe ever to come out of my kitchen.
It may just be me who gets giddy about these things but I can’t get over the fact that I’m proclaiming my best-ever brownie recipe and my first-ever gluten-free dessert recipe at the same time. They are one in the same. And I think that gluten-free gets a bad rap from time to time so I’m pretty stoked to be advocating for the amazingness that can happen without gluten.
Please note that I am not saying these are the best gluten-free brownies I have ever made or tasted, I am saying that these are the best brownies I have ever made or tasted… and they happen to be gluten-free. Big difference. They aren’t “good… for being healthy”- they are good AND healthy.
I just love that.
Whether or not you are gluten intolerant or have become a big fan of the book “Wheat Belly” is not the question here. The question is whether you have a passionate adoration for super ultra fudgey chewy chocolate chip brownies. Do you? Of course you do. And that is why we are friends. Well… one reason we are friends. (That and the fact that you read my blog where I ramble about my foodie obsession and still come back for more. Thank you for that.) And it is definitely why you must make these brownies. In fact, I’m going to add one more first-ever to this blog post. I’m going to dare you.
I double dog dare you (woah.) to make these brownies and feed them to an unsuspecting non-gluten-free-eater. Just see what they think. I guarantee they will never ever guess they are gluten free. I also guarantee they will fall madly in love with these brownies for the sheer magnitude of rich flavor and fudgey chewiness. Guaran-dang-tee it.
- 2 ounces baking chocolate, roughly chopped (you can use almond bark or unsweetened bakers chocolate - both found near the chocolate chips in most grocery stores)
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted (may sub other oil such as vegetable or canola)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (OR 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 teaspoon almond extract if you have it)
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon whole raw almonds
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- optional: ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips, coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a 9x13 inch baking pan with foil or parchment and lightly grease.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt chopped baking chocolate and oil on half power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30-45 seconds, until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate and oil, honey, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla to a large bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Add almonds to your food processor (or heavy duty blender such as a Blendtec) and pulse until finely ground. Add ground almonds, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda to the wet ingredients and mx until combined. Spread evenly into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake for 20-25 minutes until set (just shake the pan a bit and if it jiggles, it needs a couple more minutes).
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt immediately after removing from the oven. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars and serving. Store in airtight container at room temperature.