Baked Orange Chicken – Sweet and spicy orange chicken baked in the oven! Ready in just 30 minutes – a perfect busy weeknight dinner!
I have no usable kitchen at the moment. Or dining room. Or living room in fact. And my hallway is in shambles. We’ve decided to do a little renovating upstairs. Sort of a Christmas present to ourselves. New paint, new floor, new baseboards and casings. It might actually be a medium renovation.
We love our house but it could use some updating. The sad thing is that is already was updated when we moved in. And you should see what was underneath the linoleum we pulled up in the kitchen. All I can say is thank you so much that styles have changed over the decades. And I will be even more thankful when those new styles are in our house and I can get back in my kitchen!
This Baked Orange Chicken is so yummy! I love having a little healthier, non-fried version of one of my favorite Asian dishes. The sauce is sweet with a great spicy kick! You can tone done the spice by leaving out the crushed red pepper, but if you’re not afraid of a little spiciness, definitely throw them in. I like my sauces really thick and this one is perfect. This is an awesome way to switch up your usual pan fried orange chicken routine. Next time you’re craving take out, save yourself a trip and a few dollars by fixing up this quick and delicious Baked Orange Chicken!
Baked Orange Chicken
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- zest of 1 large orange
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil over medium high heat. When oil is hot, add chicken and quickly brown both sides (about 1-2 minutes each side). Place chicken in a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan combine water, orange juice, vinegar, and soy sauce and heat over medium high heat. Stir to combine. Whisk in ginger, orange zest, crushed red pepper (optional), and sugar. Whisk and bring to a boil. In a small bowl whisk corn starch into cold water until dissolved. Pour into boiling sauce and stir until thickened, then remove from heat.
- Place chicken in a shallow baking dish. Pour 2/3 of sauce over chicken. Bake 15-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Serve chicken over rice and with remaining sauce. Garnish with sliced green onions if desired.