Blueberry Stuffed French Toast with Coconut Syrup – Crispy French toast coated in coconut flakes and stuffed with a blueberry cream cheese spread!
I have a sort of food-crush on coconut. I love its unique taste, bitter yet sweet at the same time. I think it’s so versatile, you can use coconut milk, coconut extract, coconut flakes. And coconut pairs wonderfully with some of my other favorite flavors like lemon, vanilla, almond, and pineapple, just to name a few. A couple of my favorite recipes featuring my coconut love affair include this amazingly moist Coconut Lime Pound Cake (heaven on earth!!) and these Orange Muffins with Coconut Streusel (hello breakfast!!). Oh oh, and how can I forget these insanely delicious Vanilla Coconut Muddy Buddies?! My favorite muddy buddy flavor.
Recently I was converted into a French-toast-lover when I made Apple Cinnamon French Toast. Ohhhhhh that was so SO good. This recipe though, it might possibly be better. Or at the very least, a definite tie. Just take this in with me… warm french toast coated in sweet coconut flakes, stuffed with blueberry filling and drizzled with ooey gooey homemade coconut syrup?? One word:ohmygoshthisissogood!!! Another example of me not expecting much from my own imagination. I hoped this would be yummy, but it was more than yummy, it was to-die-for delicious! If every day could start out with Blueberry Stuffed French Toast with Coconut Syrup
Blueberry Stuffed French Toast with Coconut Syrup
- 6-8 slices white bread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Whisk together coconut milk and corn starch until corn starch is dissolved. Add to a medium sauce pan along with corn syrup, and sugar. Cook over medium high heat, whisking throughout until mixture is smooth and thickened slightly. Stir in coconut extract. Remove from heat and allow to thicken while you make the french toast.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Whisk together water and corn starch until corn starch is dissolved. Add blueberries and water mixture to a small sauce pan and bring to boil. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Reduce to simmer and allow to cook until mixture is thick and most of the liquid is gone. Remove from heat. Beat cream cheese and blueberry mixture until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and milk. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Spread coconut flakes on a plate or in a wide bowl. Spread about 2 tablespoons of blueberry filling each onto half of your slices of bread, leaving about 1/2 inch on all sides. Top with another slice of bread to make a "sandwich".
- Dip entire "sandwich" into egg mixture and flip to coat both sides. Gently scrape off excess liquid on the side of the bowl. Lay "sandwich" on coconut flakes, flip to coat other side. Cook in a large pan or nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes or until coconut flakes are toasted and bread begins to brown slightly. Flip and cook another 2-3 minutes on other side.
- Repeat coating and cooking process with remaining "sandwiches". Top with any leftover blueberry filling or extra blueberries if desired. Top with coconut syrup and extra coconut flakes if desired.