Super soft and chewy chocolate pudding cookies with chocolate chips – Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies for the true chocolate lovers!
I’ve been trying for several months now to create the perfect super-chocolatey chocolate chocolate chip cookie. This is it folks. The cookie I’ve been seeking.
There are three key things that go into the making of these cookies to make them so wonderfully soft and chewy. The first thing is chilling the dough. I know I know, I used to be anti-cookie-dough-chilling too. Mostly because I’m one of the world’s most impatient people when it comes to food and in particular, dessert. I want a warm chocolate cookie and I want it now. I have tried everything under the sun to avoid chilling my dough but the fact of the matter is that there really is no replacement. I just have to learn to be a little bit patient (one hour isn’t that long…) and chill the darn dough. The results: soooo worth the wait.
The next thing is the pudding. Instant chocolate pudding gives the cookies a super chocolatey flavor and keeps them super soft on the inside with just a tiny layer of crisp on the very outside. It has to be instant chocolate pudding. No, you can’t use regular cocoa powder, sorry. Just do yourself a favor and grab a 94cent box of chocolate pudding mix at the store, you shall be so glad you did.
The last key to these cookies is the shape. See how they’ve got that bubbly double edge to them? That is part of the amazingness of these cookies. You shape the dough into a ball about twice the size you normally would, then break the dough ball apart, roll those halves into balls, and then stack them on the cookie sheet. Cook right?? This is essential for getting the crispy edge and all of that soft chewy goodness inside.
And there ya have it. Ultra-chewy, super duper soft and decadent double chocolate, chocolate chip cookies.
Not for the chocolate faint of heart!
Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 small instant chocolate pudding mix - dry, not prepared (one 3.9 ounce box, it must be INSTANT - not cook and serve, etc)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar for 1-2 minutes until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg and mix well.
- In another bowl whisk together flour, chocolate pudding mix, baking soda, and salt.
- Gradually mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until incorporated. Sit in chocolate chips. Cover and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350. Very lightly grease a baking sheet. (I lightly mist it with cooking spray, then wipe it off with a paper towel) Roll about 4 tablespoons of cookie dough into a ball. Break the ball apart into halves. Roll each half into a ball. Place one ball on the cookie sheet, then stack the second ball on top of the first. Use the palm of your hand to gently flatten the stacked cookie dough balls slightly. Repeat with remaining dough. (These cookies are large so be sure to place the cookie dough balls at least 3-4 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes until cookies are set but still slightly underdone. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Butterscotch Pudding Cookies