Creamy Chipotle Cheddar Cauliflower Soup with a spicy chipotle kick – I love how easy and quick this recipe is, plus using a cauliflower base really lightens up the dish without losing flavor!
Annnnnd here it is, the soup recipe I almost posted yesterday but decided to give you a teeny tiny break (remember? of course you do). It’s been so cold and when it’s cold, all I want is soup. And pasta. And a blanket and fuzzy socks and to never leave my bed. But mostly I want soup.
My husband isn’t crazy about brothy soups, I have a love affair with just about any kind of soup so if it’s brothy or creamy, it mattereth not. However, since marriage is all about compromise (it is? I thought it was all about having an on-call foot massager….) I figure since I like all soups and he prefers creamy soups, I’ll try to make creamy soups more often than not. The moral of this story? I make a lot of creamy soups.
Whenever possible, I try to lighten up my creamy soups any way I can. This chipotle cheddar cauliflower soup has a cauliflower base (hence cauliflower in the name…big shocker there) and that makes it easy to skip on some of the flower and milk. I adapted this from my popular Zupa’s Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup and it turned out amazingly delicioso. I love the cheesy cheddar with the spicy chipotle – it’s a winning flavor combination.
Plus it’s purrrrdy.
What people are saying about this Chipotle Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
“We absolutely love this soup! I made it when you first posted it last year and we’ve been enjoying it ever since. As with any recipe I have to add my own personal touches – but your version is the best.” – Amelia
“I have made this twice now, and I love it! You and your recipes bring great joy to our family! My daughter likes this soup, too, but she would prefer to eat your hot fudge stuffed cookies on a regular basis. ” – Nicci
Chipotle Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 4 tablespoons adobo sauce (see note)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2-3 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot. Add garlic and onion and sauté until onions are tender. Add flour and stir until mixture clumps up.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Add broth, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce, salt, and chopped cauliflower. Simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is very tender (the more tender, the smoother your soup will be at the end).
- Transfer soup to a blender and pulse/blend until smooth. Return soup to pot. Add cheese and stir until melted and combined with soup. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve with extra cheese if desired, enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Zupas Wisconsin Cauliflower Soup