Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes – Moist fluffy cupcakes with fresh strawberries, topped with strawberry buttercream and drizzled with milk chocolate!
I’m gonna be honest with you, I don’t like fruit and chocolate. No no no, I love fruit, and I love chocolate, I just can’t stand them together. This applies to all desserts. I don’t like chocolate chunks in my berry ice cream, or drizzled raspberry sauce on my chocolatey cheesecake. I hate cherry cordials with a passion and even though I have this deep affection for dipping strawberries because they are b-eau-ti-ful, I won’t eat one without first dissecting it. I break off the chocolate, eat it, then sink my teeth into my strawberry. My husband thinks I’m crazy.
And just look at these Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Cupcakes. Aren’t they pretty? Well it took me a few tries to get them right so I still look at them with a bit of bitterness and irritation but that will wear off soon enough. I went through three batches of buttercream before realizing that it was my frozen house that was ruining it. Buttercream needs to be made at room temperature. And this week, room temperature in my home was 51 degrees.
We spent three days huddled in either our bedroom or my bedroom-turned-office/photography-studio with two space heaters and a stack of blankets. It was a rough three days, but eventually all ended well. We got a brand new furnace installed and I finally made a stellar batch of strawberry buttercream frosting for these cupcakes.
Three batches later, this buttercream came out perfecto-mundo. It stiffened perfectly for piping and had just the right amount of strawberry-flavor going on to make the strawberry-chocolate combo work out just a chocolate dipped strawberry. Of course, I de-constructed mine and ate the chocolate separately from the rest of the cupcake but my family and friends who do like fruit and chocolate together, particularly strawberries dipped in chocolate, L.O.V.E.D these cupcakes. I can think of about fifty different holidays that would give you a fantastic reason to make these Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes. Valentines Day, Mother’s Day, Next Thursday… oh wait, that’s not a holiday. But hey, today has enough special occasions all on its own to call for something this fantastic. Super Bowl. Ground Hog Day. Annnnnnnnnd….. Happy Anniversary hon, I love you forever. 🙂
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ¼ cup oil
- ½ cup half and half (or milk of choice)
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1 pound (four sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 5.5 cups powdered sugar
- 5-6 medium strawberries at room temperature, hulled, diced, and pureed (may sub 5 tablespoons of strawberry jam at room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, cornstarch baking powder and salt and whisk to combine. In a larger bowl cream together sugar eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Add butter, oil, half and half, and strawberries and mix to combine. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Pour batter into prepared cupcake liners, filling each to ⅔ full. Bake 19-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the frosting, cream together butter and powdered sugar 3-5 minutes. (Use a plastic bowl if possible, at room temperature). Mix in vanilla extract. Gently stir in pureed strawberries. Pipe frosting onto completely cooled cupcakes and chill while you melt the chocolate. (Note: you may also spread on the frosting if you prefer) In a microwave safe bowl melt chocolate on half heat, stirring every 20 seconds until completely melted and smooth. Drizzle chocolate over cupcakes in any design you wish. Chill about 5 more minutes to set the chocolate. Store in airtight container.
Chocolate dipped strawberry lover?! Try these next!