Cinnamon-y caramel covered popcorn perfect for any festive occasion!
There’s just something about a churro that screams CARNIVAL to me. When I was growing up, the carnival would come to our town once a year in the summer time and I still remember the first churro I had there. My mother bought a churro for me and two and my brothers to share for fifty cents. (I’m pretty sure the most recent churro I had set me back four dollars, talk about inflation huh??)
I also remember making my brothers ride the Tilt-a-Whirl with me three or four times in a row right after that churro. They didn’t have the solid stomach I have I guess because they both fought over the nearest open garbage can immediately afterwards. I don’t know if they have the same happy memories of our churro that I do. But for me it was wonderful, and that cinnamon-sugar combo became iconic for me. When my mother made me toast for breakfast with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top, it became Churro Toast.
When I made this popcorn I had that carnival churro in mind. The flavor combo was delicious and after a little tweaking with the ingredients, I achieved that perfect chewy-firm texture you get with a real churro. I’m hooked, this Churro Caramel Corn is sooo addicting. If you like churros, do yourself a favor and make a batch of this, pronto.
Churro Caramel Corn
- 5 cups homestyle air-popped popcorn
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 10 large marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- Pop popcorn, remove unpopped kernels, and set aside. In a medium sacuepan over medium heat, add corn syrup, brown sugar, butter, marshmallows, and vanilla. Stir continuously until completely melted.
- Remove from heat and pour over popcorn. Toss to coat thoroughly. Quickly transfer to a baking sheet and spread caramel-coated popcorn onto an even layer.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over still warm popcorn. Allow to cool. Break into chunks and serve.