S’mores are popular for a good reason: they’re one of the greatest culinary treats ever invented. Trust me, I’m a self-appointed authority on the subject.
I prefer my real over-the-campfire s’mores minus graham crackers actually. I love to roast the marshmallow til it’s perfectly golden brown, maybe slightly charred even, then stuff a big chunk of milk chocolate right into the center, let it melt a little and eat the whole thing in one bite.
Or at least as much as I can get into my mouth. Some of it ends up on my face. Okay a lot of it ends up on my face. But I like to think no one can see that in the dark with only the light of the fire.
Like you, I’ve seen s’mores cupcakes all over the place lately. Maybe it’s trendy, but I am jumping on the bandwagon here. I couldn’t resist. Hello. S’mores cupcakes. My only regret here is waiting so long to make them.
But that being said, I may be a little biased but I think these are among the best ones out there.
First you start with a perfectly moist chocolate cupcake bottom. And they start with a box mix so it’s super easy and cuts out a few ingredients and steps.If famous bakeries can start with box mixes, I’m not ashamed to follow suit.
Then you spread a layer of melted milk chocolate on top of the cakes, sprinkle it with graham cracker crumbs, and let it cool. This is probably my favorite feature. Acually, the marshmallow meringue swirled on top is my favorite. Oh wait, the toasted marshmallows and chocolate covered graham crackers has to be my favorite. Whatever, I just love it all.
Everyone fell in love with these wehn I made them for my niece’s going away to college party. My niece. Is going to college. I’m not that old am I? Ahhhhh! Unreal. Just like these cupcakes. Totally deliciously unreal!
Deluxe Graham S'mores Cupcakes
- 1 box devils food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 4 graham cracker sheets, finely crushed
- 12 chocolate covered graham cracker cookies (I used Keebler Deluxe Grahams)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Mix eggs, half and half, greek yogurt, and oil. Stir cake mix into wet ingredients until smooth. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 of the way full. Bake 17-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate chips. Use the back of the spoon to spread a thin layer of chocolate onto the top of each cupcake. Sprinkle with crushed graham crackers. Allow chocolate to cool.
- Make the meringue. In the heat safe bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, cream of tartar, and sugar over simmering water until sugar is dissolved, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer bowl to stand mixer fitted with with whisk attachment and mix for about 8-10 minutes, gradually increasing speed, until smooth shiny peaks form.
- Mix in vanilla. Pipe meringue onto cupcakes and top with 2-3 mini marshmallows. Set oven to low broil. Broil cupcakes for 4-5 minutes, watching very closely, and remove when meringue and marshmallows start to brown. Immediately top with chocolate covered graham cracker cookies and allow to set before serving.