Thick chocolate chip cookie bars loaded with Twix candy bars, topped with gooey caramel and two kinds of chocolate! Get your fancy pants on cause these decadent bars will make you feel like a million bucks!
A’ight peeps, get-cho fancy pants on cause these are some top-notch, snooty patooty bars we’re talking about today. I’m sorry for the crazy name, they don’t tell you much about what’s actually inside of the bars but when I was finished drizzling chocolate on the top layer, I couldn’t get the image of argyle socks and ascots out of my head. Sometimes my brains makes very random and somewhat strange connections.
So let’s take it slow here. First up – chocolate chip cookies. Not the round mounds you put side by side on a flat baking sheet. More like one big, fat, really tall and perfectly chewy chocolate chip cookie bar. I have your attention, yes? Yes. Good.
But wait! What are those chocolate-covered caramel shortbread sticks I see amongst the chocolate chips?? Twix bars. Ohhhhh yeah baby. Twix bars have always been my favorite candy bar. Not my favorite candy, that’s a whole different story. But my favorite candy bar? Definitely Twix, now and always. I did have a brief affair with Baby Ruth’s about a decade ago but that hardly counts.
So once we’ve got this Twix-loaded chocolate chip cookie bar thing going on, then we take it up a notch. Let’s carry that caramel-Tix thing up to the next level with some homemade microwave caramel. Yep, MICROWAVE caramel. Easy peasy cheesy. Actually no cheese, cause caramel and cheese, ewe.
Thennnnnn, we bring in the chocolate. Not one but TWO kinds of chocolate. One can never ever have too much, or too many kinds of chocolate. In this case we’re including both white chocolate ( my heart throb) and milk chocolate. If we’re getting technical, there’s actually three kinds of chocolate in these bars because the chocolate chip cookie layer has semi-sweet chocolate chips all over the place in there.
Oh I should probably tell you that you need to keep these bars chilled until you’re ready to serve them. So don’t cut them up into squares or triangles or fancy pantsy little hearts until you’re ready to share them with the world. Because that caramel layer tends to be a little soft and your bars will start to spread when they get warm. Not necessarily a bad thing cause it’s totally a big fat bonus when you get to lick each and every one of your intensely caramel-laden fingers.
Alright now stop whatever you are doing, pull on some slacks, and grab one of these here fancy pants bars. You look like you could use a moment of pure bliss.
Better hurry. They’re leaningggggg……..
Fancy Pants Bars
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 snack-size Twix candy bars
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9x9 inch baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. In a large bowl combine butter, brown sugar, white sugar, and mix until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla and mix again until smooth.
- Add flour and salt to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated and dough comes together. Gently stir in semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Spread half of the batter in the bottom of your prepared pan. Gently press Twixes into the batter every 2 inches or so. Pour the rest of the batter over the Twixes and spread into an even layer. Bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean besides a few crumbs.
- Allow cookie layer to cool while you prepare the caramel. In a microwave safe bowl combine melted butter, corn syrup, sugar, brown sugar, condensed milk, and salt. Stir until smooth.
- Place bowl in the microwave and microwave on high for 6 minutes and 30 seconds. (I recommend placing bowl on top of a microwave safe plate because it may bubble over the sides of the bowl.) Using hot pads, remove bowl from microwave and stir in vanilla. Pour caramel over baked cookie layer in the pan.
- Chill for 30 minutes or until set. In a microwave safe bowl melt white chocolate chips at half power for 2 minutes. Stir and return to microwave at half power for 20 seconds at a time until chocolate is melted (stir between each 20 seconds) Stir until smooth. Pour white chocolate over caramel layer.
- Melt milk chocolate chips the same way you melted the white chocolate chips (may require a little less microwave time since there are less chips). Drizzle milk chocolate over white chocolate. Chill until ready to serve. Cut into bars immediately before serving.
Bars adapted from Just a Taste.
Caramel recipe adapted from Cooking Classy.