Super moist Lemon Almond Poppyseed Bread.
Lemon and almond go so well together. There’s something about that earthy nuttiness and the bright citrus that just compliment each other so well. And poppyseeds tie the whole thing together with a nice little bow.
This bread was so delicious. Very moist and the glaze on top added so much to the flavor as well as a bit of depth in the texture. Call me weird but I like to eat this bread from the outside-in. I munch around the edges, savoring all of that tangy-sweet crystalized glaze… and then dive into the hearty center. Give it a go, I promise you’ll love it. And if you don’t, well, more for me right?
This recipe is easy to split between two large loaves, or six small ones. I made six small loaves and shared them with family. The hubby and I went to the gym, had dinner, and then delivered these little bundles of joy to a couple of my siblings who live close by.
I was particularly glad to see my oldest brother who is living here while on a temporary assignment for work. He and his amazing wife have the absolute cutest little one-year old twins, a boy and a girl.
Seriously, so adorable I can’t stand it. They’re in that exploration stage where everything is new and exciting, even throwing a rock in the pond. Which I spent a good ten minutes doing with them the other day in my parents backyard. They get such a kick out of plopping those pebbles in the water, I love it!
But twins can really be a handful. And I’m a little nervous. Because they run in the family. (Ah!!) When I was younger I wished I was a twin. Have a built-in best buddy for life, what could be better than that?? It would be challenging raising twins, but there’s just something special about those pairs.
I’m not gonna wish it upon myself, but if I do have twins someday, I’m not going to be one little bit sad about it. Nervous? Absolutely. But definitely excited.
And on that futuristic note… Lets eat some of this delightful bread shall we??
Lemon Almond Poppyseed Bread
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/8 cups oil
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the ingredients together. Pour into greased and floured bread pan. Makes 6 small loaves or 2 large loaves. Bake for 50-60 minutes for large pans. For dark metal pans, reduce heat to 325 degrees.
- Pour all ingredients into a small saucepan and let cook over medium heat in a small saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool about 5 minutes.
- While still in the pans, pour glaze over the loaves. Use a rubber spatula to spread glaze around, allowing some to run into corners and down the sides, creating a yummy coating on the sides of the bread. Allow to cool 10 minutes before carefully removing from pans.