Easy, healthy Mediterranean chicken Panini with lemon and garlic split pea hummus, grilled chicken, and melty provolone cheese on whole grain bread.
This recipe is in partnership with USA Pulses & Pulse Canada
Hey hey! Can you believe it’s August?? Kind of snuck up on us and this Summer has been flying by, but we’ve been trying to soak up every bit of it along the way. Lately it has been so hot though, I’ve been opting for really quick meals that won’t use my oven and make the house even hotter.
Sandwiches are a great way to go when you need something quick, easy, and healthy – especially in the warmer Summer months!
This Mediterranean chicken panini is one of my family’s new favorites. It starts with whole grain bread which is a great, sturdy base for a panini!
Top that whole grain bread with a zesty lemon and garlic split pea hummus, seasoned grilled chicken, and melty provolone cheese and you’ve got yourself one heck of a tasty sandwich ready in less than 30 minutes.
Wait, did she just say split pea hummus?? YES! Split peas aren’t just for split pea soup my friends, and they are the star of this super delicious hummus! I promise you it’s what makes this sandwich so incredible.
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded to even thickness
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- ¼ cup halved kalamata olives (optional)
- ⅓ cup sliced roasted red peppers (optional)
- 6 slices whole grain wheat bread
- 1 cup dried green split peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Place split peas in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes until very tender. Drain well and transfer to a food processor.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper to food processor. Pulse until combined. Continue to pulse while gradually pouring in olive oil. Pulse until smooth.
- Place chicken in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, and basil and toss to combine. Grill chicken over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes on each side until cooked through. (Alternately you can cook chicken on stove or bake if you prefer)
- Chop chicken into ½-inch pieces and set aside.
- Spread hummus on one slice of bread. Top with chicken, then with two slices of provolone cheese, and top with second slice of bread. (If desired, you can top chicken with kalamata olives and roasted red peppers before second slice of bread)
- Grill sandwiches in a panini press or George foreman for about 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately.