One Pot Italian Sausage Chili – A simple and delicious chili with sausage, rigatoni, beans and savory spices! A one pot dish ready in 30 minutes or less!
Well, I’m just gonna say I’m glad it’s a new day. If you caught yesterday’s post, you know that I definitely woke up on the wrong side of the bed. After the incidents of the morning all I wanted to do was climb back into the sheets, pull the covers over my head, and pretend I’d never gotten up at all.
But alas, we made it through and all is well. Except for my new car. It is severely injured and has been hospitalized for intensive care. My heart aches but at least we have insurance. I mean, this is what I pay for every month right?? Might as well get my money’s worth out of it.
A nasty day like that calls for one thing: comfort food. Yesterday it was chili that came to the rescue. Italian Sausage Chili. Not really sure where the inspiration for this recipe came from other than a desperate need to feel warm and cozy on a rainy, gloomy, miserably unfortunate day. And a random craving for Italian sausage.
The great thing about this dish? (I mean besides the incredibly tasty flavors) It can all be made in one pot. All of it. Noodles and all. It’s like magic. Dinner magic. One pot to dirty, one pot to clean, one delicious chili to consume. And if I haven’t convinced you yet… it’s quick. Super quick. Less than 30 minutes quick. Don’t believe me? Here, let me walk you through it.
Cook sausage –> boil noodles –> stir everything else in –>DONE. Piece. of. chili. cake.
One Pot Italian Sausage Chili
- 8 ounces mild Italian sausage (about 3 large sausage links), casings removed
- 4 ounces rigatoni noodles, dry
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cannelini or great northern white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup tomato puree (canned is fine)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (any italian seasoning blend will do)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice sausage into 1/2 inch pieces and cook over medium heat in a large pot, stirring throughout to ensure even cooking. (I've found it's easiest to cut the sausage if you freeze it for 10-15 minutes beforehand.) When sausage is cooked through, transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add chicken broth to pot and bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook 6-8 minutes until tender. Return sausage to the pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cook 5-10 minutes longer, stirring throughout. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired. Enjoy!