Orange Muffins with Coconut Streusel – These sweet orange muffins are perfect for those rushed mornings when you’re running out the door!
So it’s a little late in the season I think but I’m really into oranges right now. I feel like oranges don’t get enough attention. They’re sweet and tangy and bright and smell soooo good when they’re ripe off the tree.
I pretend like my love of oranges has been engrained in me since birth because I was born in Orange County California. Yeah I know that means nothing as far as having a palate for oranges but I can think what I want. And I think that I was born to love oranges.
Have you ever been to Disney California Adventure Park in California? You know, the next-door neighbor to Disneyland (aka: the best place on earth ever). Well if you haven’t then you are really really missing out on one of the coolest rides imaginable. Soarin’ Over California. Those of you who’ve experienced the Soarin’ magic know exactly where this is headed. The orange fields. If you’re clueless right now, take a look at this. You won’t really get it til you go on the ride though.
So plan yourself a trip and go.
You know what’s a really killer combination? Orange and coconut. Not sure why but coconut has been weaseling it’s way into a lot of my recipes lately. Check out these amazing Vanilla Coconut Muddy Buddies, Toasted Coconut & Cashew Granola, Coconut-Lime Greek Yogurt Poundcake.
Now let’s add these muffins to the list. They my new fav. At least until tomorrow when I make something else delicious.
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon
- 2 tablespoons of orange zest
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 350. To make the muffins, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl mix together buttermilk, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in orange zest. Fill greased muffin tins ⅔ full.
- Prepare the streusel. Combine shredded coconut, butter, sugar, and flour in a small bowl. Mix to combine. Spoon onto muffin batter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean. Allow to cool.
- Prepare the glaze. Mix together powdered sugar and hot water. (Add extra water 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached). Stir in coconut extract. Drizzle over muffins. Store in airtight container.