The power combo of peanut butter, banana and coconut in this fruity oatmeal.
With Mother’s Day this past weekend, my own mom has been on my mind quite a bit. And the more I think about it the more I’m convinced, she’s absolutely without a doubt the best mom in the whole world. And I’ve figured something out that I don’t think I realized when I was a kid. I don’t know how I missed it before, there were so many clues.
Like the years she spent working from four in the morning til two thirty in the afternoon so she could be home when we got out of school, run me to dance class, and soccer practice, and make me ham on cheese on a croissant with extra mayo to fuel my brain through homework, and stay up til after midnight sewing my recital costume.
It should have been obvious then.
I mean, how else could she work that much, sleep that little, and still manage to pick up after nine crazy rugrats. (yeah, I’m the caboose) That house was always, always clean. She vacuumed every single day. Up and down. How does anyone do that??
And there is no other explanation for how she always knew when I was getting into trouble.
Or for how her little five foot-one petite frame carried my full-grown injured and unable to walk self to the doctor all on her own.
And about a million other things that really should have given it away.
But it didn’t hit me til I grew up and moved away and watched her from somewhat of a difference that I finally put all the pieces together and it hit me…
Duh. She’s a superhero. 🙂
I had a massive desire for peanut butter and banana so I thought I’d whip up some oats. Then I added the coconut as a tribute to my mother. Enjoy!
Peanut Butter, Banana, & Coconut Oatmeal
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-4 drops vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 medium banana
- Cut banana into slices and set aside. Combine oats, water, almond milk, coconut milk, cinnamon, and vanilla in a medium-sized pan on stove.
- Bring to a rolling boil for 2-3 minutes, then decrease to a medium heat and allow to simmer 6-8 minutes or until oats have thickened to desired consistency. Remove pan from heat. Remove pan from heat.
- Add coconut to pan and toast on stove until brown. While coconut is toasting, stir peanut butter and sugar into oat mixture and transfer to a bowl for serving. Top with sliced banana toasted coconut flakes and an extra dash of cinnamon with desired.