Skinny Zucchini Muffins – the perfect breakfast to keep it light and healthy.
I love love love summer vegetables. I actually always have. I don’t think I ever had that typical kid’s aversion to veggies. In fact, my favorite color is green. So I probably just ate them for that reason. When I was growing up, we had a garden in the backyard. It was a pain to keep up with the weeding, I especially hated being assigned the corn rows because I had an uncanny knack for finding spiders in those stalks. The big, black, hairy kind… (is there really any other kind of spider?). But I thought that the whole concept of a garden was the neatest thing since sliced bread. The process was fascinating to me. You dig a hole, bury a seed inside, give it a little water and poof… food! Okay, it’s a little more complicated than that… but that’s basically what happens isn’t it? And to a kid, that’s practically magic.
Of course, even though I really loved veggies (green beans, zuchinni, bell peppers, corn on the cob… mmmm) I still didn’t love the idea of putting them in my sweets and bread til I’d gotten a little older. Now I’m a fan. And I’m a fan of these muffins. Sweet and hearty at the same time, so classic, so delicious. And healthy with a little fiber bonus thrown in there! So you can have two if you’re feelin it.
Skinny Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (2 small or 1 medium)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, mix zucchini, eggs, sugars, apple sauce, and oil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Pour batter into greased muffin tins, filling about 2/3 full. bake 18-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.