Sweet and spicy Slow Cooker Sweet Fire Chicken made healthier at home with a tangy Asian sauce right in your slow cooker!
Happy Tuesday y’all!
You know by now that I love homemade better-than-takeout Asian style dishes. Truly adore them. Which sort of explains why I have so many of them on this here blog. My favorite varieties always involve a little sweet and a little heat.
And the best of the best can be made in my crockpot.
This dish tastes a lot like the Sweet Fire Chicken from Panda Express if you’ve ever had it. If you haven’t, no worries, you’re going to love it – trust me. Juicy pineapple chunks, sweet red peppers, and chicken all tossed in a spicy-sweet sauce… what’s not to love here??
If you’re a big fan of spicy food – like me! – then you should definitely add a few extra red pepper flakes and serve it with a bit of sriracha sauce for drizzling.
What people Slow Cooker Sweet Fire Chicken
“Ok… so I have made a lot of recipes from websites, and normally they are good, but this one, this one is seriously AMAZING! I could literally just eat the sauce. Soooooooo good! Definitely my favorite thing I have ever made. Super pumped to try the healthier sweet and sour chicken next!” – Naomi
“I loved this! There was enough flavour that I did not need to spoon any sauce on the rice, which cut the sugar and sodium.” – Jennifer
“I’ve made this twice already and it’s in my crockpot right now for my third time. I saw someone say they used the pineapple juice (1 cup) instead of the cup of water so I did the same. Soooooo delicious! This time I’m adding the onions so I’ll see how it goes. I’ve never had the runny issue that some are having. LOVE this recipe! It’s going to be one of my regulars now. Thank you!” – Lorie
“Very easy to prep. I halved this recipe and it came out great. followed directions exactly for the low heat, and added in cornstarch right at the end and i thickened up perfectly! I usually have issues with runny crock pot recipes, but not this one. I personally think I’ll try adding some onion and soy sauce for a bit more of a salty balance for the sweet. red pepper gives a great kick, so yummy!” – Ashley
Slow Cooker Sweet Fire Chicken
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sweet red chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- Add chicken, chopped red peppers, and pineapple to a greased slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sauce ingredients except for the 4 tablespoons cold water + 3 tablespoons corn starch. Pour sauce into the slow cooker and give everything a stir. Cover and cook on high 2-3 hours or on low 4-5 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, take the lid off of the slow cooker. In a small bowl whisk together the remaining cold water and corn starch. Set the slow cooker on high (if it isn't already) and pour the corn starch slurry into the pot, stir, then cover and cook another 30 minutes or until ready to serve. Stir just before serving.
- Serve with steamed rice or fried rice if desired. (Click [url:1]HERE[/url] for my favorite easy homemade fried rice recipe)