This colorful quinoa dish is easy, healthy, and full of tex-mex flavor!
Ah, I’m finally over the worst of that nasty head cold I caught last week. And I can officially taste my food again. Which is making this Monday feel more like a Tuesday, very much less daunting.
A few things I’m thinking about today:
How sweet my mother is- she gave me the most heartfelt and thoughtful note this weekend for no real reason at all and it made my day.
Tylenol and the many bonding experiences we’ve had together.
Darius Rucker’s song “Wagon Wheel”. It’s stuck in my head and I’m 100% okay with that.
Cantaloupe and this Tex Mex Quinoa Bowl I’m having for lunch. So easy, so delicious. And a great way to use up leftover mexican ingredients in the fridge from the weekend. I’m loving having a bowl of quinoa already cooked and waiting in the fridge for the week so I can just grab some and add it to any dish in a hurry. And of course there’s that added bonus that it’s super super healthy and good for you. Lots of protein. Which is much needed after a brutal 40 minute sweat session at the gym this morning.
Just look at those beautiful peppers. Mmmmm….
Tex Mex Quinoa Bowl
- 4-5 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 peppers, chopped (combination of red, green, orange or yellow)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno (seeds removed and discarded), finely chopped
- 1 cup black beans, cooked
- 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- salsa, hot sauce, or pico de gallo
- Add peppers, tomatoes, onion, and black beans to a large sauce pan. Cook over medium high heat 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in jalapeños, salt and pepper, and taco seasoning. Cook 6-8 minutes longer or until fragrant.
- Stir in cooked quinoa and cook 2-3 minutes longer until quinoa is heated through. Serve hot and top with option salsa if desired.