Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Parmesan Tortellini Soup
Slow cooker tomato basil parmesan tortellini soup is easy, healthy, delicious, and a cinch to make in your crockpot - perfect for cool weather nights!
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream OR half & half
- 3 cups frozen tortellini (thawed)
Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and next 7 ingredients (through broth) to a slow cooker/crockpot. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high or 4-8 hours on low. (If you are home, give it a stir every now and then and scrape down the sides)
About 30-40 minutes before serving transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, then return to crock pot.
Prepare the roux. Begin by melting the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
Add flour to melted butter and stir until flour clumps up. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream (or half & half) until mixture is thickened and smooth. Add roux, parmesan cheese, and tortellini to crockpot and stir to combine.
Allow to cook another 20-30 minutes until cheese is completely melted. Give it a good stir before serving. Top with additional basil and parmesan cheese if desired.