Strawberry Poppyseed & Chopped Kale Salad
Crunchy, fresh kale salad tossed with juicy strawberries, walnuts, blue cheese crumbles and homemade creamy poppyseed dressing!
- 6-8 cups chopped kale
- 1-2 cups 1-2 cups chopped romaine (optional, see note)
- 1 pound strawberries, stems removed and halved
- 1/4 cup whole or chopped walnuts (I used Diamond of California chopped walnuts)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2/3 cup mayo (see note)
- 1/2 cup Half & Half (I used fat free) or other milk (any percentage of milk will work- the higher the percentage, the creamier your dressing will be)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 8 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 tablespoons poppyseeds
First prepare the dressing by blending all salad ingredients together (except for poppy seeds) until smooth. Stir in poppy seeds. Cover and chill until ready to use.
In a large bowl toss together kale, romaine (if using), and strawberries. Add poppyseed dressing and toss to coat. Top with nuts and blue cheese crumbles. Serve immediately (see notes).
Adding romaine lettuce is completely optional here. When I made salads with dark greens I love to throw in a handful of a brighter lettuce if I have some in the fridge. It's mostly for color, and sometimes for texture (such as when paired with spring greens or baby spinach). If you have some on hand, add it! If not don't worry about it!
If you are preparing this salad ahead of time I recommend tossing the salad without the dressing, then add the dressing and toss immediately before serving OR you can serve the dressing on the side.
For the dressing, you can sub part or all of the mayo out for plain fat greek yogurt. This will change the taste a bit but will make a lighter/healthier dressing.