Chicken Penne Salad with Creamy Parmesan Dressing
Tender penne noodles and juicy seasoned chicken tossed with red peppers, sundried tomatoes, sharp white cheese, and a rich and creamy parmesan dressing!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (1 teaspoon per chicken breast)
- 2 cups dry penne pasta, regular or whole wheat
- 4 cups baby spinach or similar dark greens
- 1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 7-ounce jar sundried tomatoes (about 2/3-1 cup), chopped
- 1 cup diced white cheese (smoked mozzarella, sharp white cheddar, creamy havarti, etc)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fat free plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayo (I used light)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper)
Place penne in a medium sauce pan. Cover noodles with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender. Drain and set aside.
Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook in an oiled pan or skillet over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and chop into 1 inch pieces.
In a large bowl toss together penne, chicken, spinach, red peppers, sundried tomatoes, and cheese.
Combine all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth. Pour dressing over salad ingredients, toss to combine, and serve.