Cheesy Garlic Parmesan Spinach Orzo
Super creamy and cheesy garlic and spinach orzo pasta!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup milk (I used fat free half & half)
- 2/3 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
- optional: fresh lemon zest, grated parmesan cheese, and cracked black pepper for topping
Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Add garlic, salt and pepper and saute for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant
Add flour to form and stir for one minute. Add about 1/4 cup of the milk to the pot and whisk to work out any lumps. When lumps are gone, add the remaining milk and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 8 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Add chopped spinach to sauce. Cook an additional 2 minutes or so until spinach is soft and dark. Remove sauce from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. When cheese has melted, add orzo and stir to combine. Serve with extra parmesan cheese and serve immediately. Enjoy!