Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
Cheesy and spicy jalapeno popper chicken soup made in 30 minutes or less - creamy comfort food with a kick!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk (I use half & half, you could also use heavy cream)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup jalapeno juice (from a jar of jalapeños)
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast (rotisserie chicken works, or two chicken breasts cooked and shredded)
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sliced jalapeños (I prefer jarred/canned jalapeños in this recipe)
- optional:crispy tortilla strips or crumbled tortilla chips
In a large pan/pot (big enough for a batch of soup) melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and onion powder and saute 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant. Add flour and stir until mixture comes together.
Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Add chicken broth, jalapeño juice, chicken, salt, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and jalapeños. Stir until cheeses are completely melted. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste as needed. Serve with crispy tortilla strips if desired. Enjoy!