Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce
This recipe for Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce is soooo easy to make! It comes together in just a few minutes with ingredients you've already got on hand, and tastes way better than the canned stuff!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes (1 28-ounce can)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (these can be found near the canned jalapeños at most grocery stores)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
Drizzle a little bit of oil in a large sauce pan. Add the onions, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of cumin and cook over medium heat, stirring throughout 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
Add tomatoes, chipotle pepper, remaining cumin, sugar, and cooked onions and garlic to a blender. Cover and puree mixture until smooth.
Transfer mixture back to the large sauce pan, add the chicken (or vegetable) broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 10-15 minutes until thick and fragrant. Give it a taste test and season with salt and pepper according to preference. Store in airtight container in the fridge up to 2 weeks.